Skip to content

The Beautiful Imprecision of Language

So, we took delivery of the first draft of our web site, which included pages to collect basic information for a variety of company types. On each page, the developers had identified the Postcode field with the words “Post Code”. Our business users did some research and decided to it needed to be made consistent with the rest of the company: it should be changed to “Postcode”.

So, I raised a change with the developers.

Here’s exactly what I asked for: Please change all instances of “Post Code” to “Postcode”.
Here’s what we got: All instances of “Post Code” were changed to “PostCode”. Note the still-capital “C”.

Perhaps if I’d sent them a screen shot of a search-and-replace dialog we’d have got what we wanted.

Published inDevelopersSoftware Development

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *